My Liberty Fix

30 Aug

I was recently disappointed to discovered that one of my trusty tee shirts came out of wash with a split in the yoke seam. The thin decorative fabric meant I wouldn’t have be able to sew it up very neatly.

Sad hole in a favourite Tee Shirt - Nettynot BlogI had thought it’d be a good excuse to do something a little creative maybe sew some buttons on or embroider over it. It’s been sat on my ‘to be fixed’ pile for a few weeks while I pondered about it, then a week or so ago, while reading Very Berry Handmade blog post Vintage Look Liberty Hexies my minds started racing with ideas.

I love a hexie, whether it’s crochet, knitting or patchwork. I’ve been working in small scale recently making some fabric patchwork necklaces – still a work in progress, and still very much enjoying the experimenting stage (hopefully I’ll be writing more about this venture soon too).
Patchwork Necklace - Nettynot BlogAnyway back on topic, my holy top, having decided to add some liberty fabric and create some mini hexagons to cover the hole, I made some small paper pieces and started sorting out exactly what I was going to do.
tiny paper patchwork pieces - nettynot blogLiberty Fabric Choice - Nettynot blogPicking fabric – I do have a fair few Liberty Fabrics in stash and it was tricky to narrow down the selection, then deciding whether to go complimentary or contrasting…eek. The bluey fabrics match very well, however I thought that was too safe, plus as soon as I laid out the ever so slightly neon pinky/red fabric with blue crosses I knew that had to be the one. The pattern also lent it’s self to framing the crosses in the centre of each hexagon.

Patchwork placement - Nettynot blogPlacement – then all I had to do was figure out was the arrangement, I played with a few ideas first before settling on the one I was happy with.

They were a little fiddly to sew together, but I actually quite enjoyed it, I think knowing there were only six to sew made this less of a challenge. I decided that since they were so small, I’d make my life easier by using some bondaweb, secure them to the tee shirt first, (I thought it would also make it stronger and hopefully wouldn’t sag when I wear it).

Finished Liberty Fix - nettynot BlogI then hand stitched around the outside and along the small seams and then as a finishing touch I swapped the old small shell buttons for some blue ones to match the tee shirt fabric and used contrasting pink thread to tie them into the liberty fabric.

I’m rather happy with the result and may well introduce some patchwork finishes to more of my sewing projects.

Advertisements

2 Responses to “My Liberty Fix”

  1. veryberryhandmade August 30, 2015 at 2:37 pm #

    What a lovely solution ot your problem! Love imaginative mending ideas, and so glad I inspired you a bit!

    Liked by 1 person

    • nettynot August 30, 2015 at 4:17 pm #

      Thank you, I really enjoy seeing your creations! 🙂

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Bobbin's Escape

Rippers up!

delightfultones

One girl's creative adventure.

livjaa

making things.

WhipStitchDesigns

Exploits of an art fair kid, all grown up.

sylkotwist

Just another WordPress.com site

Jane Makes

Stitched & Baked

Stitch and Purl

Welcome to the Stitch & Purl Blog. knitting, sewing, arts, crafts, cooking, baking, seasons, mamahood. love.

%d bloggers like this: